Saturday, February 2, 2013

Introduction for English 495: Multigenre Literacy in a Global Context

At this point, I'll be adding to this blog with information and postings from my senior seminar. I have to say that I'm thrilled to be at the end of my Bachelor's Degree work. I feel like it's just taken FOREVER!

Media technology has so important in teaching because it surrounds all of us all the time. Hardly a moment passes when we aren't inundated with magazine covers, television programs, internet articles, etc. This can be an equally good or bad thing. Because technology makes information ever present. We now have access to knowledge at all times. It's amazing. It also presents a challenge because, often times, our students will often be more knowledgable about these technologies than we are. Other times, they may be operating with more recent information than we accessed.

I appreciate the use of media in linking all of us in a global context. Those who teach in the USA can be linked to those who teach in Russia, Mexico, India--anywhere. This multiplies our access to new ideas exponentially. It's a beautiful thing.

Now for introductions stuff.

This is my daughter and me when I pretended not to be ginger.
I love being a redhead, although I went through a phase not long ago when I decided that it wasn't red enough and so I might as well just be brunette.


My daughter is basically my favorite person in the whole world. She likes to put on shows for us almost every evening. I have NO idea where she got that idea from. The shows generally consist of her dancing and singing The Little Mermaid's "Poor Unfortunate Souls" to the family. Sometimes though, she likes to read to us. I have a video of her "reading" The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar. 

I'm glad that she loves books, because books and language have always been vastly important to me. This is the reason that I've always wanted to be an English teacher. From thirteen onwards, I have never wavered in that desire. Both of my parents are high school teachers and I've spent my life in their classrooms, to the point that school rooms became my second home. I can't imagine feeling fulfilled--in a career sense--in any other setting.

Click the read more button to see more things that I love.


More things that I love:

My family of origin

















ALL things Doctor Who (and don't ask me  which Doctor is my favorite)













I love sunflowers.

Community is currently the greatest comedy on television.

































Cosplay Adventures















This book will make you cry your soul out.

















I don't care what anyone says; How I Met Your Mother is hilarious.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, it does feel like forever to graduate. It's my sixth year here. I changed my major three times, haha. Honestly, I've been told I should be a teacher. I disagreed since I hated routines, but eventually accepted it and learned it is not really routines. My mother is actually the one that inspired me for this.

    I agree, students (since they're the younger generation) tend to know more than the teachers about technology. Fortunately, my father being a tech geek influenced me a bit to hold my own and my long term boyfriend is one too so I have help if I need to, haha. It would be embarrassing to have the students to know more about this or just awkward, yeah, but even teachers should not stop learning. Learning about what? Life and what's new with it, and learning from the students. We just have to go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to see your blog post and your daughter is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sherece! I kind of adore her.

    ReplyDelete